Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Thursday 17th February 2:50am 2005

Been an odd day today. I’ve had a great day in terms of my radio stuff but my stand-up has taken a bit of a knock back. Firstly I’ll deal with the good stuff. The show went well today and to be honest I’m still on a bit of an after-show high. I really feel that this stand-up lark has freed my mind up creatively. I’m using sound effects a bit of surreal stuff and I’m genuinely enjoying the job again.

One of the reasons I’m doing this stand-up stuff is I need something else to do with my time. The radio show alone isn’t enough. It’s fun but it’s no substitute for a real life. If I focus too hard on the radio show I end up crushing it like a flower. I need to water it and respect it but not weigh it down. That’s why I’m doing this stand-up, it’s distracting me from the show a bit but it’s still something worth doing.

Now then, setbacks… Well it’s almost f#cking impossible to get stage time! I thought a month’s notice would be good enough. Not so. I can’t get over what a tw#t it’s turning out to be to find a few open mic nights to do some stuff. So it looks like Wutang’s going to try and pull some strings and get a few favours in. That’s a problem because if I’m on any professional bills the stakes are higher. Furthermore I didn’t practice today. I need my set printed on paper to read it out loud. Well I don’t have a printer at home so I made excuses to myself and took the disc to work to print it out there. Did I bother? No I forgot and I left the disc at work as well. Cu#t.

However I did email a few clubs in London posted some more on the Manchester Comedy website and sent the most recent copy of my final script to Tom. He might look through it for me. Going to have some burgers now and then go to bed.

NM