Thursday, January 26, 2006

7:17am February 22nd

Oh dear me. It’s clearly the wrong side of the day. I’ve got to get more in control of my sleep patterns here. Obviously I’m in a rather obsessive state about this comedy mission I’ve set myself. It’s turned out to be a lot of fun to work towards so far. I’m now at the stage where I have material that I just need to learn now. This leaves me almost exactly a month. Should be easy enough to learn it. Might get back to reading that book a bit. See what it says about performance.

I’ve registered on the forums for Chortle.co.uk. It’s been a lot more rapid than the Manchester comedy one. Got lots of useful feedback from people. There’s some really helpful chaps out there. This scene really reminds me of radio at the moment. People clearly do it for the love of it. I like that. They also clearly want more people involved in it. That’s also good. I imagine that like radio there’s only a certain number of people who are really genuinely good at it. Might be wrong. I like the way it feels like I’m doing something new though.

I’m also enjoying writing this diary. I love the fact I’m writing it without any sort of purpose in mind. It really allows you to enjoy the little things in life if you keep a diary. You assess your day more. I can also watch my progress as I travel towards the stand-up.

Right, in comedy news here’s what’s happened. I tried loads of practising today. Loads of reading the stuff out and recording it as I went along and then moving the sheets of paper I’m reading from further out of sight. Until I couldn’t see them. Unfortunately once I couldn’t see them I also couldn’t remember them. Ruined.

I’ve hassled Lee the promoter who does Beat The Frog in the week I’m after. I’ve told him my family is connected to Ireland as it’s Irish theme night or something. Hope it works. I sent him a PM on the Manchester Comedy website. It’s my final crack at that spot!

NM